Saturday, May 8, 2010

Weigh In

This morning I ran 6 miles, and as much as I was dreading it - based on how hard 4 miles was the other day - it wasn't so bad. Is it weird that I actually kind of like waking up early on Saturdays now to run? And today it's nice because I don't need to take 3 hours to recuperate from my run.

As far as my weigh in goes - I'm going to use yesterday morning's weigh in. I actually ate really good while I was out with my friends - but my weigh in this morning was still 1 lb. more than yesterday's so I lost 1 1/2 pounds this week. Not bad, except that Wed or Thurs morning I was even 1 pound less than that. I'm happy with 1 1/2 pounds. It is a little hard having the weigh in numbers get smaller each week, but I knew that was going to happen.

I also went to the doctor yesterday. I've talked with my brother in law who is a doctor a couple times, but I finally decided to go see another doctor - not that I didn't believe what he was telling me, but more for a second opinion, just to make sure everything was ok. I wasn't quite sure what to expect because I just picked a doctor from the provider list that was close, and had availability soon. But I really liked this doctor. She was great. She said it isn't a pulled muscle because muscles repair themselves faster than this has. It's a pulled tendon. They take much longer to heal (which my bro- in-law had told me it will take a while to heal.) She said it could take up to 6 months to heal completely, but during that time I should start feeling a little better week to week. That's the important thing. I asked if I have to stop running. She said no! YAY!! In fact she said that I should keep running to keep stretching those tendons and exercising them. It would be more dangerous to stop completely, then when I start it would hurt them again. Maybe that's why I liked her, she told me what I wanted to hear. She did say it's smart to cut back on the running now that the race is done, but when I do run longer miles just to take some ibuprofen and it will be fine. So that is good. I don't' feel like I'm limping nearly as bad as I was, so hopefully the limp will be gone within a month. Just in time for me to do my next race, then I'll be limping again.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great! I'm glad the doc told you what you wanted to here. See, going to the doc isn't so bad afterall. By the way, where did you go??

    ReplyDelete