Sunday, April 4, 2010

Challenges and Rewards

I liked Korina's idea of posting our challenges that we've faced getting ready for this half marathon and our journey so far with getting fit. I know we are still 3 weeks away from the half - wait, in 3 weeks it will be done!!! YAY! Anyway, we aren't there yet, but still we've experience much on this journey so far.
I'm going to start with the challenges:
* Plantar Fasciitis. I had this before we even started our journey, but with the running it got worse and more noticeable. I got cortisone shots a couple months ago and it was amazing to wake up in the morning and have to hobble for those first several steps because of the pain. The cortisone shots wore off and the pain is back, but on the bright side it isn't as bad as it was before. It could be because I'm lighter so it's not so much weight bearing down on the heel, it could also be because I've been really concentrating on icing and stretching it.
* Pain in my right knee. This was about a month ago and for about a week my right knee just hurt every time I ran. It wasn't so bad when I wasn't exercising, but running hurt.
* Stressed hip flexors. I'm not quite sure if this is what it is, but after a lot of reading I've diagnosed myself with this. This has by far been the most painful of the challenges. It's also the most frustrating because it's what I'm experiencing right now, and we are SO close to the race. I can't take any time off from training to heal. I really think getting new shoes will help a ton, and I have been icing and stretching a TON, and it helps so much. But for the last week and especially yesterday I was just hobbling around like an old lady. It also hurts the very first few steps, until it gets stretched out a bit. Pray for me to be able to heal from this one before the race.
* Loss of sleep. The last several Friday nights I haven't been able to sleep because I've been so nervous about the run in the morning. Then, I feel like part of my Saturday is gone because I get home and I'm so tired and sore I have to take a couple hours to recover. But still it's worth it.
* Blisters and Rash. Like Korina I've gotten a few blisters on my feet, and just this last run I got that same rash at my bra line.

Now, for the Rewards:
* Weight loss! I've lost 38 lbs so far!! Wahoo!!!
* Improved confidence. I saw my sister-in-law this last weekend and she was complimenting me on my progress and she gave me such a good compliment. She said that she could see a difference in the way I held myself, and that she could see more confidence in me and my countenance as well. Honestly, I NEVER thought I'd be able to run 11 miles and I've done it. I haven't done the 13 yet, but I know I'll be able to. (If my hip cooperates) To accomplish something that you didn't think you could do is such a confidence booster. It is also such a good feeling to have Jerry compliment me on how amazed he is that I'm doing this.
* More active lifestyle & mom. When we went to Disneyland Hayden and I were going on a ride together. He was excited and started to run. At first I did what I usually do. Hold back thinking I didn't have the energy to run up the ramp, or thinking uh, that will hurt my knees. But then I started walking fast, and before I knew it I was running with him to the ride and it was fun. In that small moment I noticed a difference in my life. I could be more active. My knees didn't hurt. And it was fun just running with my son.

So, I'm not done with my fitness journey when we finish the half marathon, but this has been something that has been a real challenge in itself, but so very worth it.
(Remind me that I said that as I'm running the half marathon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment