Friday, July 30, 2010

Interesting discovery

It is WAY too late for me to be up! Especially considering I'm supposed to be leaving town in about 4 1/2 hours, and I need to squeeze some sleep in there somewhere.
Anyway... moving on... Korina gave me a good idea and a little experiment I wanted to try out. I have worn my free little nature's bounty pedometer that I got off of Freebies 2 Deals for the last two days. I was curious to see how much exercise I get in a normal day - other than my workouts. So I take the pedometer off while I work out. Very interesting. I know it isn't a total accurate calorie count first off because it's not programmed to my weight, and also there are times you burn calories and you are not walking, and if you walk up the stairs you burn more than by just walking on no incline. But still, the distance walked is pretty accurate, and at least it gives me a little bit of a ball park range.
So yesterday when I went to bed, at 1:30 (way too late again) I had walked a total of about 3 - 3 1/2 miles. That is NOT including my workout. I thought it would be WAY more than that. Yesterday was a pretty average day. Maybe a little more sedentary than others because I did some sewing for a while, which is just sitting. But we also went to the library and got out of the house.
Today was a very busy day, I think I walked more today than I do on an average day, between getting all the laundry done, packing for our trip, going shopping at Old Navy and the grocery store. So there was a little more walking than normal. I walked a total of 5.8 miles. That's it! All day long. I was shocked to look at the pedometer after I'd been up for about 2 hours and I had already been so productive with doing the dishes already, 2 loads of laundry, breakfast for the kids, etc. and I hadn't even walked one mile. Just an interesting discovery.
I kind of like wearing it, and I think I might start wearing it daily and make a goal - cause you know me, I'm obsessed with making goals. (Don't always keep them so well, but it's fun to make them.) I think I want to make a goal to walk a total of 5 miles each day - outside of my workouts. I guess I feel like I'm walking all over my house all day, but I forget, my house is not big.
Anyway, it was just an interesting discovery that I thought I'd share. Now I've GOT to go get some sleep!! See you guys when I get back in town!

1 comment:

  1. I have been wearing mine also. I am impressed you got as much as you did. The farthest I have is 3.5 miles must be because my house is smaller then yours!!! I thought I did way more also. One day I did all my laundry and cleaned my house and was busy all day I ended with a mile and half. What 150 calories I gain more than that by looking in the kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete