Friday, January 8, 2010

A little more insight to my history

So, I did weigh in this morning, but I've decided I'm going to do my official weigh in for the week on Saturday morning instead. That way it will hopefully motivate me to eat good Friday night.

Tonight I am proud of myself because I made steamed broccoli with our dinner. I actually LOVE steamed broccoli, but I've been really bad about making any sides of vegetables or fruit for the longest time. Jerry even liked it. (Well, the one piece he had) He complimented me and said, "I think that's the most vegetables I've had in a while." I've been consciously trying to eat more veggies this week and it's been good.

For my eating plan I'm trying to eat meals that include a balance of protein and carbohydrates. I'm roughly basing it on the Body For Life eating plan. I have never been a super skinny toothpick, and for as long as I can remember I was always trying to lose weight. Part of that probably came from having 5 older sisters. As they hit those teenage years where they were worried about weight I was still quite young, but it made me start thinking about weight at a young age. I was always tall and looked more mature than the girls my age so I felt like I was overweight. Looking back at pictures I wasn't that bad, however I never really was a stick. Once I hit puberty I did legitimately struggle with my weight. I wouldn't say I was ever really overweight, but I don't really remember a time that I wasn't trying to lose weight. About 9 years ago I started the Body For Life program. It is a 12 week program and it worked for me, where nothing else that I'd ever done before really did. I lost 30 lbs in 12 weeks and gained a lot of muscle. I can show you the before and after pics in person, but sorry, no way am I posting pics of me in a bikini online. I was also able to maintain for about 2 years until I got married, then the weight slowly started to creep up, and then babies blew it out of the water. Not because it's necessarily hard to eat this way, but much more fun to eat yummy fattening stuff, and easier to eat take out than to plan meals. I will say though, I don't think our family dinners will be completely on the plan, but I'll make modifications and still make healthy dinners.
To be honest, I think any logical plan will work if you stick to it. I'm kinda anti Slim fast, Atkins, etc. They don't make sense to me, and I love the taste of food. Basics are burn more calories than you eat right? But I like the structure of Body For Life, and it's something that works for me, so there is my eating plan, in a big fat nutshell.
I found a couple recipe's that are healthy cures for the my sweet tooth. I'll post them next. I have tried one, and the others I'll be trying.

2 comments:

  1. That is a good idea to weigh in on Saturday to keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother and his wife live off of Body for Life. They still have their struggles because, like you said, planning the meals is key, but that program makes it easy to take off and maintain. That is what I have been basing my meals off of this week, which is why I was so upset when I didn't lose anything.

    ReplyDelete