Friday, January 8, 2010

Banana Cream Pie

I have made this, and I think it is delicious!!! My family even likes it a lot. My only change would be the crust. It was ok, but it didn't stick together very well, and I think it would be easier to just buy a non-fat, or low-fat graham cracker pre-made crust. Very good FHE treat. The recipe says there are 4 servings, but I think it can easily serve 6-8, but you know you don't have to feel guilty if you like it so much that you end up eating a quarter of the pie.

I have also adapted this and made Chocolate mousse pie - because I'm a chocoholic. The only changes are using chocolate sugar-free Jello pudding mix, no banana extract, and chocolate protein powder instead of vanilla. If it still isn't chocolaty enough you could add a bit of baking cocoa. (Believe me, you won't taste the cottage cheese at all, especially if you blend it.)
If you don't have protein powder you don't have to use it, but it won't have nearly the amount of protein, but there is protein in egg whites (crust) and the cottage cheese is great protein. Still yummy!

CRUST:
1/2 cup low-fat graham cracker crumbs (4 long crackers)
1-2 egg whites
FILLING:
2 cups blended fat-free cottage cheese
8 packets of Equal
1 box French vanilla sugar-free Jello pudding mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons banana extract
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 banana sliced thin

Make a crust using the graham cracker crumbs and egg white and press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or baking dish. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool. (I put in freezer for 15 minutes). Then, cream together first 6 ingredients in a blender. Slice banana and layer in the bottom of the pie shell. Pour blended mixture into crust. Cool in refrigerator. Top with fat-free Cool Whip if desired. (Servings: 4, Protein: 17g per slice, Carbs: 20g per slice) Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta go buy myself some vanilla protein powder...all I have is chocolate.

    ReplyDelete