Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My non-running week so far

I have been determined not to let this little set-back of not running take me off my course. I was able to go to the gym Monday morning and I did weights and rode the bike. Yesterday I went while Rebecca and Hayden were in school and I did more weights and swam. I will get there sometime today and I plan to do the bike and some more weights, targeting different areas each time. So far it hasn't been bad, and actually it's been kind of nice doing something different, and giving my feet and knees a break. I've also been able to get my weight back to weigh in weight and I'm hoping by Saturday morning to have lost those 3 pounds for the week.
I went to the podiatrist this morning. He doesn't think I have a broken bone because of where the pain is, and also if it were a broken bone the pain would still be as bad as it was on Saturday, and it has gotten gradually better. He also doesn't think I've torn the tendon, but probably stretched it from too much use. I think I did the initial damage on Thursday last week when I ran 4 miles then went to zumba after. Then Saturday was the nail in the coffin.

He gave me cortisone shots in both feet, and already it feels a little better. He suggested no running for about a week. I'm determined to stick to that. Even if I'm feeling great by Saturday I'm not going to run, I'll ride bike between everyone. Then he said when I do start running again to build up gradually. So next week maybe I'll run every other day, starting with a mile, adding 1/2 mile each time. Then hopefully by the next week I'll be ready to get back on schedule. He also said no zumba for a while for sure. I think the twisting, jumping, etc has affected it. So that's the plan for now. Hopefully these shots will take me through the race in Nov. and after that I think I really will have to cut back on my running and mix in more swimming and biking.

2 comments:

  1. I am sad I will not get to see you at Zumba. But happy you are listening to the doctor. Let me know if you need anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure he said no Zumba?? I think you might have been mistaken. =) JK I'm glad it is starting to feel better. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete