Monday, February 8, 2010

Update on Dr. visit

So I went to the podiatrist today. I've been putting it off for so long because I was afraid the dr. would tell me I can't run. Right now I have to run. Ok, I guess I don't HAVE to, but I HAVE to lose weight and the half marathon is giving me the goal to work towards that will help me lose weight. I have plantar fasciitis, which has caused a heel spur. So, just like I figured, he suggested I don't run. He suggested I start riding a stationary bike instead. I told him my plight. He did say that I could run the miles, but just split it up into running smaller distances a couple times per day. I guess I could, but I don't have all day to schedule my running around. If I do continue to run long distances there will just still be pain. I did get cortisone shots in both feet, so that will take the inflamation down so that the pain will go away, but it won't heal the plantar fasciitis. So now I'm a little down, and frustrated. I feel like I'm on fire and motivated and I don't want to have to change everything and lose that motivation. If I take a month off of running how will I lose weight?? I know there are other forms of exercise, but then will I be ready for the half marathon? And I'd need to do extra planning because I couldn't do it in my home on the treadmill, which is a luxury I know. Just a little frustrated. So do I disobey doctors orders? He wants to see me again in 2 weeks to follow up and see how I am doing. Do I go and flat out tell him that I'm still running and that I didn't listen to him at all? I know I won't get completely better without resting my feet, but can't I wait until after the half? So my plan for this week is that I'm going to do strength training tomorrow, and maybe walk for a bit. I really want to do the 4 miles on Wed. Maybe I'll split it into 2 miles in the morning, and 2 miles at night. Then I'll do 1 mile Thurs. along with some strength training again, and 2 miles Fri. And I'm still planning to do 6 miles Sat. Am I so stupid?

2 comments:

  1. Knowing what Skyler goes through with his heel spur, I'd have to say you're not stupid, your just crazy, but we already knew that. =) I think you should do what you can, but realize you may have to get humble and go back for more shots. I hope they help in the mean time. By the way, did it hurt?? I'm getting mine on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Sarah! And whatever is best for you!

    ReplyDelete