Saturday, October 9, 2010

No weigh in week

I really had planned to weigh myself this morning and report that weight - even though I knew it would not be pretty because I had a very fun early birthday getaway with delicious food included. But when I woke up for our run this morning I forgot to weigh for some reason, and didn't remember till after I'd eaten a granola bar. Of course the granola bar is TOTALLY going to show on the scale, so I couldn't weigh in. :)
I ran 9 miles this morning. I was going to do 8.5, but then my OCD kicked in and I figured if I could do 8.5, I'd better just go 9 and end on the mile. (Yes, crazy I know.) I also figured that since I won't be doing the 10 mile run next weekend, I could push it to 9 this week, then 10 when I get back after the race next week.
My knee has really been hurting this week for some reason. My foot is fine, but just as that starts feeling better I have to get some other pain. I started thinking this week, "Do I REALLY want to do another half marathon? That is a LONG distance." So when I started running I felt my knee and thought, no, I'm fine just doing the 10K in Nov. instead. But after about 1/2 mile it felt just fine again, and once again I thought I wanted to do the 1/2. Then about 4 or 5 miles later when I was getting excited about my speed, and doing the 1/2 marathon my knee started hurting again, and once again I thought 10K. But I slowed a little bit and within a couple minutes my knee was fine again and I felt great. The thing is, if I decided to just do the 10K instead of the 1/2 just because I'm feeling a little worn out, and getting a little sick of the long runs I would TOTALLY regret it on race day. I remember feeling this way during the training of our first half marathon. Those miles are long, but if I can do the race I really want to. (Of course if it's going to hurt my knee/ foot, whatever to the point that I can't recover without outside help, I might rethink. But even now after the run I feel fine, and my knee isn't even as bad as it was earlier this week.
I'm giving all the credit to my miracle cream that we got at the first race:)

6 comments:

  1. BEEF UP YOUR INNER THIGHS!! =) Seriously, start doing some weight training girl. Doing a half marathon will NOT be worth it if you end up like my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I thought when I read your post, so I've been trying more. I've been weight training all along, but not enough on my legs. The problem I found is that it hurts most when I do squats, lunges, etc. When I'm standing straight it's fine, and when I'm sitting it's fine. It's just when it's slightly bent with weight pressure on it it hurts the most. It actually doesn't hurt too bad today, even hours after the run. So I'm going to do more of the inner thigh exercises that don't make me squat till it's completely feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to go to a doctor, so they can tell you what is going on. I will watch the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about this while I was eating. And you may have what Kim's Sister has, but you may not. Marlo, Monica, and I have all had knee injuries thanks to running.(which I must say is well worth it) And all three of us have different knee injuries and if we factor in Kim's sisters injury that would be 4 different injuries. If you do the wrong exercises to try to strenghten it you may hurt it worse, if that is not the problem. Just be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Korina's right, BUT keep doing what your doing. You know your body and the important thing is to make sure you are hitting every muscle group equally. The surrounding muscles have to be as strong as the muscles you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are so sweet. Thanks for all your input and concern. I think you are both right. Considering that it actually feels better today than it did even on Monday that makes me feel like I can still run, so long as I ice it and am careful and listen to my body. I checked out webmd - which is just dangerous, that website usually makes me think I have a life threatening disease. And from reading about symptoms etc, I think I just pulled a muscle or tendon. I wondered at first if it might be a torn ACL, but after reading about it, I don't think so. I think I will concentrate most on stretching, icing, and also building up all my leg muscles, without doing more damage. There are some machines at the gym that I can use that aren't squat machines, and I can always do my pilates dvd, or even leg lifts at home. Thanks you guys for being great, caring friends.

    ReplyDelete