Friday, April 1, 2011

Not what I expected

So, I gave birth on Monday as you all know.  We all assumed I'd be down at least 10-20 lbs after giving birth.  Guess what!  We were all wrong.  I am the same weight I was the morning I went in to deliver.  How's this possible?  Well, let me tell you.  I am swollen head to toe.  My "clothes" that fit me going into the hospital to deliver are now tight on me.... my maternity shirt is serving as a regular t-shirt quite well. 

What is it you ask... Edema.  It is supposed to go away in the next few weeks.  In the mean time I have NOTHING to wear aside from my lounging pants, which are darn right ugly.  Apparently this condition can be caused by the pitocin and too much iv fluids.  I was well hydrated when I went into the hospital, but they gave me an iv anyway because they had to administer the antibiotic and the epidural.  Not to mention I was already retaining water before giving birth, which adds to the problem. 

Today I can hardly move because I am so sore.  Things will get better, I just have to be patient. 

I hope you both had a good week.  I will call as soon as I'm up for visitors. 

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I'm sorry. Things will get better, as we all know, but still in the middle of it, it seems forever! It's all worth it for that beautiful baby boy. There is also the whole milk thing too that adds a few extra pounds as well. When you're up to it, definitely let me know. I want to see him and you. Until then rest up and weight should be the very last thing on your mind right now. Just get feeling better.

    (Oops, this says jerry's account because I forgot to sign out of his and into mine. Sarah)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "Jerry!" who cares about the wieght give it sometime it will come right off!! Enjoy your new addition I am so happy for you and your growing family! I hope you recover quickly and start to feel better!!

    ReplyDelete